Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Registered Attendee INTA Annual Meeting 2013, Dallas


10,000 black and blue suits, with nametags, in your city’s downtown?

Must be INTA AM.

As I work out my schedule for INTA AM in Dallas, Texas May 5 - 8, 2013, I offer some tips on getting the most out the annual meeting.

At INTA.org you can grab these for your emails, blogs, etc.

Breaking the ice

The INTA AM is all about networking. You will be talking to people 24/7. Sure you can wax on eloquently about all things trade-mark law. But it’s “what else you got” that makes you special enough that you will stick in someone’s brain. So, you are going to need things to talk about other than trade-mark law.

I’m a lawyer I’m used to talking .. what’s the big deal?

You don’t have to do all the talking. I know, I know you’re a lawyer you’re used to talking. But, just remember it’s a conversation not a pleading. Ask questions. And listen to the answers as that will help keep a conversation going.

You could talk about yourself or …

My favourite go to conversation pieces

My favourite go to conversation piece is the city itself. So, if you can, arrive early and do some touring. Ideally, don’t just do an INTA tour. Branch out on your own. You’ll be amazed at how few people do this and yet they are genuinely interested to know what there is to do. And will find it fascinating that you’ve actually done something.

My second favourite conversation piece is the keynote speaker. When I first started going to INTA AM, I would go to the keynote – I didn’t have anything else to do on a Sunday afternoon (sigh). Now it’s on Monday morning and I can’t fit it in.

If nothing else, there might be eye candy!

There have been some amazing speakers (there probably still are!). I’ll never forget the lady from San Diego Zoo and all her critters. The point is, I’m not the only one who doesn’t go. So, if you can, go, listen and find something interesting in it to talk about. For example, when Elle MacPherson was the keynote, all we ladies could talk about was who our eye candy speaker would be. (Really hoping this will be the year – please PTB at INTA can you get Mr. Jones to bring some Dallas Cowboys with him?)

You got to know when to hold ‘em, know when to fold ‘em, know when to walk away …

The hardest part of networking, for me, is moving on. I find it difficult to extricate myself from a conversation and just walk away without a real reason. Frankly, I’m not very good at this but here are a few exit strategies I’ve developed:

- see someone you just “must talk to”
- refresh your drink
- get some food
- need to use the restroom (really quite desperate and not recommended)
- have a meeting

No comments:

Post a Comment