Saturday, February 2, 2013

Canvassing for the Heart and Stroke Foundation




February is Heart Month

Here I am ready to go get donations

 

Canvassing for the Heart and Stroke Foundation

For the past couple of years, I have door to door canvassed for the Heart and Stroke Foundation. Last year I got zero donations. This year I have the same route. I don’t have great expectations for much success. I went out today. It’s -13C and lightly snowing. Again I got nothing. I have to say I find my “neighbours” a little disappointing.

Oh well.

Why I Canvas for Heart and Stroke Foundation

I do this because in September of 2004 my friend Peggy, a woman I went to law school with died of heart failure. She was only 40 years old. She was a wonderful person. I will never forget the day she picked me up to go to the Bar Admission Course in Moncton, New Brunswick. She brought me a cup of coffee. “It’s cream and sugar, hope that’s okay. I didn’t know what you took in it.” she said. That’s the kind of heart she had.

I do this because in January of 2008 my friend Lennart who I met back in my undergraduate days at UNB died of a heart attack. I visited Lennart and his family in Sweden in 2006; I’m so glad I did. I had not seen him in probably over 20 years. We had a wonderful visit and a grand tour of Stockholm.

I do this because in 2010 my cousin Mark didn’t die of heart failure.

Please give generously 

 If someone comes to your door, please give. It doesn’t have to be much.

No comments:

Post a Comment